May 16, 2023
Tallahassee Community College recently honored individuals who have made a significant impact in the field of public safety at the Fourth Annual Heroes in Public Safety Awards Banquet. The Heroes in Public Safety program recognizes those heroes who have attended TCC or have trained at the Florida Public Safety Institute (Pat Thomas Academy or Lively) or the Ghazvini Center for Healthcare Education. Many of them studied at institutions that are now part of TCC and we proudly count them among our alumni.
The Florida Public Safety Hall of Fame distinction is reserved for those who, through their work, have contributed to the advancement and support of public safety. Honorees inducted into the Hall of Fame have demonstrated extraordinary service to their community, state, and nation through their continued leadership in the public safety field.
Congratulations to the Public Safety Hall of Fame Class of 2023
- Major Kevin Blom, Florida Highway Patrol
- Captain Kelly Burke, Retired, Tallahassee Police Department
- Major Ray Johnson, Wakulla County Sheriff’s Office
- Altamead Morgan, Shift Commander, Consolidated Dispatch Agency
- Gloria Myers, Education Supervisor at Lancaster Correctional Institution, Florida Department of Corrections
- Robert Obernier, Retired Fire Battalion Chief and Paramedic, Tallahassee Fire Department
The Lifetime Achievement Award is dedicated to those who have had a distinguished career in public safety, advancing this profession through their leadership roles throughout their career. Lifetime Achievement honorees have made extraordinary contributions and sacrifices through a body of work that has positively impacted their organization or community.
Congratulations to the 2023 Lifetime Achievement Award Honorees
- Chief Terri Brown, Retired, Florida State University Police Department
- Sergeant Bill Butler, Retired, Tallahassee Police Department
- Sheriff Donne Crum, Retired, Wakulla County Sheriff’s Office
- Deputy Chief, Darryl Hall, Leon County Emergency Medical Services
- Major Milton “Sandy” Mandell, Retired, Commander of the Bureau of Criminal Investigations and Intelligence, Florida Highway Patrol
- Director David Odom, Consolidated Dispatch Agency
- Commissioner Rick Swearingen, Retired, Florida Department of Law Enforcement
Chris Connell Merit Award Winners demonstrate exemplary accomplishments and acts of bravery in the line of duty. The awards were named after the late Chris Connell who served as the Director of the Capital Police after a 28-year career with the Tallahassee Police Department. He was a member of the Heroes in Public Safety Steering Committee where he pushed to ensure that rank-and-file public safety personnel is honored as part of the Heroes in Public Safety Program. In honor of his commitment, these awards have been named the Chris Connell Merit Awards.
- Matthew “Kale” Davis, Florida Highway Patrol
- Autumn Moore, Tallahassee Police Department
- Jacob Moore, Florida Highway Patrol
- Toni Schuck, Florida Highway Patrol
Unsung Hero Award
- Andrea Blalock, Leon County Sheriff’s Office
- Amelia Hardwick, Florida Department of Corrections
- Suzanne Joyner, Florida Department of Corrections
Young Professional Award
- Christian Foster, Leon County Emergency Management Services
- Amanda Hall, Florida Department of Corrections
- Elizabeth Lenair, Florida Department of Corrections