Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Technology, A.S.
The Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Technology, A.S. degree is devoted to effectively training and further preparing registered paramedics who wish to pursue employment advancement opportunities that require an associate degree, such as management and teaching.
This is a limited-access and limited enrollment program. See all Healthcare Program requirements.
For information about the program including accreditation, program outcomes, and the advanced placement policy, click here.
Overview / Requirements
Program Overview & Requirements
To prepare competent entry-level paramedics in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills) and affective (behavior) learning domains with or without exit points at the Advanced Emergency Medical Technician and/or Emergency Medical Technician, and/or Emergency Medical Responder levels.
The program is composed of three parts:
- Emergency Medical Technician Certificate (B312)
- Paramedic Certificate (6309)
- Required college and General Education courses
To enroll in this program the applicant must do the following:
- Meet the admission requirements of the Emergency Medical Technician Certificate (B312) program, apply for entry into the EMT program, be accepted and complete the EMT program
- Meet the admission requirements of the Paramedic Certificate (6309) program, apply for entry into the Paramedic certificate program, be accepted and complete the Paramedic certificate program
- Enroll in and complete required college and General Education courses, which may be completed at any time [except for BSC1084C , as this course is a prerequisite for the Paramedic Certificate (6309) program]
The Tallahassee Community College Paramedic Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) upon the recommendation of the Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Professions (CoAEMSP).
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs, 25400 U.S. Highway 19 North, Suite 15B, Clearwater, FL 33763, (727) 210-2350 (www.caahep.org)
Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Professions: 8301 Lake View Parkway, Suite 111-312, Rowlett, TX 75088, Phone: (214) 703-8445, Fax: (214) 703-8992 (www.coaemsp.org)
This program is also approved by the State of Florida Bureau of Emergency Medical Services.
73 credit hours
A student may declare the A.S. degree in EMS as his or her program of study at any time through the TCC Admissions and Records office. The student is not officially admitted into the A.S. degree program until the student is enrolled in or has completed the TCC Paramedic program. The student must contact the Healthcare Professions Division to be officially admitted into the A.S. degree program.
See Additional Healthcare Program Requirements for more important information.
Healthcare Professions, Ghazvini Center for Healthcare Education
(850) 558-4500 or firstname.lastname@example.org
View Information about Graduation Requirements and Year of Entry .
- ENC1101 College Composition 3 credit hour(s)
- Any General Education Humanities State Core course 3 credit hour(s)
- Any General Education Mathematics State Core course 3 credit hour(s)
- Any General Education Natural Sciences State Core course 3 credit hour(s)
- Any General Education Social Sciences State Core course 3 credit hour(s)
- BSC1084C Human Biology: Essentials of Anatomy and Physiology 4 credit hour(s) *
- HSC1538 Medical Terminology for Healthcare Professionals 1 credit hour(s)
- EMS1119 Emergency Medical Technician Lecture 7 credit hour(s)
- EMS1119L Emergency Medical Technician Lab 2 credit hour(s)
- EMS1431L Emergency Medical Technician Clinical 3 credit hour(s)
- EMS2603 Paramedic I Lecture 8 credit hour(s)
- EMS2603L Paramedic I Lab 2 credit hour(s)
- EMS2604 Paramedic II Lecture 8 credit hour(s)
- EMS2604L Paramedic II Lab 2 credit hour(s)
- EMS2605 Paramedic III Lecture 4 credit hour(s)
- EMS2605L Paramedic III Lab 3 credit hour(s)
- EMS2659L Paramedic Field Internship 3 credit hour(s)
- EMS2666L Paramedic I Clinical 4 credit hour(s)
- EMS2667L Paramedic II Clinical 4 credit hour(s)
- Any college-level course(s) 3 credit hour(s)
Know Before You Go
- This program is limited access, and begins each fall and spring. Check all healthcare program requirements.
- Submit a TCC admission application and a healthcare program application by the deadline!
- Make an appointment to meet with an advisor & declare a meta-major
- Check on the Course Requirements
- Club participation can boost your GPA! Consider joining these:
- Check with advisor for the program application deadline
- Apply for the EMT Certificate
Having trouble with writing, math, or other courses?
Looking for a faster option to get into the workforce?
Consider one of these certificates:
By 33 credit hours
By 54 credit hours (75% completion)
- Complete graduation check workshop online.
(You will receive an email notification when you are eligible.)
- Want to Walk? Commencement ceremonies only take place once a year, so check the deadline!
- Review your degree audit in TCC EagleNet
- Once you complete the EMT certificate, consider coursework for the Paramedic Certificate