Covid-19 Relief

TCC has reserved 20 million dollars of grant dollars for its current and future students.

Tallahassee Community College is pleased to announce that TCC students may be eligible for a grant from the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund that is part of the Federal Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act. Based on guidance from the U.S. Department of Education, these funds are intended to support students with the cost of attendance or for emergency costs related to COVID-19.  These expenses may include food, housing, course materials, technology, health care, child care, and more!

Funds are available for students based on part-time or full-time status and financial need. Student eligibility is determined according to strict guidance from the United States Department of Education. To be eligible to receive emergency aid, you must meet all of the qualifications below:

  • Be enrolled at Tallahassee Community College in at least one course in a degree or certificate program
  • Have a high school diploma or a General Education Development (GED) certificate or have completed homeschooling
  • Be a U.S. citizen or national, permanent resident, or an eligible noncitizen
  • You must complete a TCC eligible application


To get started with your application, please select the button below.

**If you are a past student (Fall 2020 - Summer 2021) and unable to access the Past Due Balance Application, then please send an email to and include your first and last name (during your enrollment at TCC) and an email address to have the form sent to you.**

After completing, the quickest way to determine your eligibility is to complete the FAFSA.  To complete a FAFSA, click here.  

For more information, students are encouraged to review the FAQ's below. If you have more questions, please contact the Office of Financial Aid. Students can reach them by calling (850) 201-8399 or by emailing WeCare@TCC.FL.EDU.



What is HEERF?

Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF), which provides financial support to colleges and universities, as well as directly to students.

How do I know if I have a need for the funds?

The Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund provides “emergency financial aid grants to students for expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to coronavirus, including eligible expenses under a student’s cost of attendance, such as food, housing, course materials, technology, health care and child care”.  If you need help, the law requires that you provide some evidence of exceptional need to TCC.  For some students, you may have a completed FAFSA that demonstrates your need.  For some you may need to provide other information.  Here are some examples of evidence you can provide:

  • A late notice or an eviction notice from your landlord.
  • A termination notice from your former employer.
  • A notice from your child care regarding an interruption in service (perhaps they temporarily closed or limited service at any point during the pandemic).
  • Evidence of medical expenses.
  • A repair shop bill or late utility bill
  • A letter of explanation that you were not able to return home due to the Pandemic and therefore had increased expenses.

We know that the COVID-19 pandemic has been hard on students for a variety of reasons and it is not always easy to provide evidence.  If you are not sure what to do, please email,  We will contact you and help.

How do I apply for HEERF Funds?

You must complete a TCC eligible application. You can click the button above to begin your application.

How do I apply for FAFSA?

To apply for FAFSA, please visit

Which students are eligible to receive HEERF emergency funds?

The HEERF funds have few student eligibility requirements. However, institutions are required to prioritize grants to students with exceptional financial need, such as those who receive Pell Grants. The HEERF funds can be awarded to online students as well. Eligible student groups include citizens, permanent residents, international students, refugees, asylum seekers, DACA recipients, other DREAMers, and similar undocumented students.

How much money can I receive through a HEERF grant?

Based on guidelines from the U.S. Department of Education to distribute HEERF emergency funds, the amount students are awarded is based on their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and their expected family contribution (EFC). Students with exceptional need will be prioritized in grant distribution and will receive a larger grant award than students without demonstrated exceptional need.

Funds are also available for you based on needs you may have with other related expenses such as transportation or medical care. You can request any amount based on your demonstrated need.

Do I have to pay HEERF funds back?

No, these are grant funds and unlike loans, do not have to be paid back.

Would this funding reduce my financial aid?

No, this is a one-time grant that will not affect your existing financial aid.

When will I receive my grant funds?

 You should receive funds in 1-2 weeks.  Applications are reviewed daily and funds are disbursed each Tuesday and Thursday.  Students are notified by email once their application is approved.

What are my options for receiving my grant funds?

Your options include:

  • DEPOSIT TO AN EXISTING ACCOUNT: Money is transferred to an existing account the same business day BankMobile receives funds from your school. Typically, it takes 1 – 2 business days for the receiving bank to credit the money to your account.

  • DEPOSIT TO A BANKMOBILE VIBE CHECKING ACCOUNT: If you open a BankMobile Vibe checking account (upon identity verification), money is deposited the same business day BankMobile receives funds from your school.

Once a grant award is made, how will I access my funds?

Once a grant award is made, students can access their funds through BankMobile. Below are the steps students need to take to activate BankMobile.

  1. Log in to
  2. Enter your TCC email and password
  3. Select how you want your money delivered

Have more questions?

If you have more questions, you can call 850 201-8399 or email,