Exchange Visitor Program

TCC is one of three community colleges in Florida who offer the J-1 visa program.

We are authorized to issue DS-2019 forms for the following categories:

  • Professor: A professor enters the US to teach, lecture, observe, or consult. A research scholar researches, observes, or consults. Minimum of BA/BS degree with appropriate experience in the field is required. Minimum duration is 3 weeks, maximum is 5 years. The 12 month bar applies (anyone who completed a J-1 or J-2 program of more than 6 months must wait 12 months after the completion of that program before beginning or returning as a professor). The 24 month bar on repeat participation also applies (anyone who spent any time physically in the US as a J-1 professor must wait 24 months after completion of the previous program before beginning or returning as a professor).
  • Short Term Scholar: A scholar entering the US for the purpose of lecturing, observing, consulting, training, or demonstrating skills. Minimum duration is 1 day, maximum is 6 months.
  • Specialist: An expert in a field of specialized knowledge or skills, who enters the US for the purpose of observing, consulting, or demonstrating special knowledge or skills. Maximum duration is 1 year.
  • Student: For full course of study at an accredited institution. Duration of stay is limited to the length of the program.


J-1 Professors, Scholars, and Specialists

To apply as a J-1 Exchange Designated Professor, Specialist, or Short-Term Scholar, please complete the application listed below and send it to

Professor/Scholar/Specialist Application

J-1 Students

To apply as a J-1 Exchange Student, please complete the application below and send it to

J-1 Student Application