GED® Prep and Learn EnglishAE New Students
Students age 16 and older seeking to passthe GED® Test to earn a high school credential or learn English (ESOL) are considered "Adult Education" students. The following steps are required to get started at Tallahassee Community College (TCC.)
Steps to Enroll
Follow these steps to get started at TCC. Download the full Steps to TCC Adult Education.
Step 1: Apply for Admission
- Apply for admission to TCC using our online application: https://forms.tcc.fl.edu/Application
- Select “Adult Basic Education, GED®, or ESOL” as the Type of Application
- After submitting the application, you will receive a confirmation page with your TCC Identification number, email address and password. Save this information because you will need the details to log into TCC EagleNet and access your TCC email.
- If you have lost access to your account, call the TCC Help Desk at 850-201-8545 for help.
- If you have completed the application in the past but have not taken classesin the past 12 months, you will need to reapply to TCC. You can complete a paper application and submit it to the Admissions and Records Office or complete the online application.
Step 2: Take a Placement Test
Take the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE.) The TABE test measures your skills and provides a baseline to measure progress in the GED program.
1. LEON COUNTY: Take the test on the TCC Main Campus. TABE tests are administered every Wednesday at the TCC Main Campus Testing Center. You need to arrive by 8:30 am and no appointment is necessary. There is a testing fee of $25 for the Main Campus location only. Pay this fee by cash or check the day you take the test. Bring picture ID.
2. GADSDEN COUNTY: Take the test by appointment at the TCC Gadsden Center in Quincy (850) 558-3620. At this time, there is no fee to take the TABE in Gadsden, provided you are a resident of Gadsden. Bring picture ID.
3. WAKULLA COUNTY: Take the test by appointment at the TCC Wakulla Center in Crawfordville (850) 558-3525. At this time, there is no fee to take the TABE in Wakulla, provided you are a resident of Wakulla. Bring picture ID.
- If you need accommodation after hours, please call Adult Education Department directly at (850) 201-8760 to schedule. If you have already taken the TABE test within the last 12 months, please have the testing agency send the official score report to the Adult Education Office (email, mail, or hand-deliver in sealed envelope from the testing agency.)
- Take the Comprehensive Adult Student Assessment System (CASAS.) This test measures English skills in reading and listening. There is no fee for the CASAS test. Contact the Adult Education Department directly (850) 201-8760 to schedule this test. Or, log into TCC EagleNet to register for the next CASAS testing opportunity.
Step 3: Register for Class
- After taking the placement test, contact an Adult Education staff member to be registered for class (850) 201-8760.
Step 4: Pay Tuition
- Pay class tuition: $30 per semester. You must pay tuition within 14 days after being registered for class or you will be withdrawn from the program and not permitted to take classes until the tuition is paid. Tuition can be paid online through TCC EagleNet or in person at the TCC Cashier’s Office, TCC Gadsden Center or TCC Wakulla Center.
- If you are experiencing homelessness or other financial hardship, you can apply for a scholarship to pay class tuition and fees. Please contact an Adult Education staff member for more information. If you are a client of a local social services organization, please contact that agency directly for assistance in paying tuition.
Step 5: Minor Students (Ages 16 and 17)
All Adult Education Students (GED® and ESOL) must participate in TCC’s Adult Education Student Orientation.
- Not every student begins Adult Education courses on the first day of each semester. Therefore, it is required that new students complete the orientation session shortly after beginning class either in-person or online. Please contact an Adult Education staff member for more information.