What is a Library Research Consultation?
Research Consultations are scheduled appointments with a reference librarian for individualized, uninterrupted, one-on-one assistance with library research. Consultations are available to all TCC students, faculty and staff.
Research Consultations provide:
- 30 minutes to 1 hour of research assistance
- Instruction on how to effectively use the library catalog and electronic databases
- Information on how to evaluate relevant Web sites
Schedule a Research Consultation using the form below.
What will a research consultation include?
It will include a discussion of appropriate resources and possible search strategies for locating the information needed for the specific topic and assignment. The librarian may also demonstrate how to effectively use the online catalog, electronic databases and the Internet and may suggest relevant books, periodicals and Web sites, all tailored to the individual's information need. Answers to class assignment questions are not provided. Note: Writing assistance is available from the TCC Writing Center
Why is this different from the help received at the reference desk?
Research consultations provide uninterrupted time with a reference librarian, where individual research need is the focus. While assistance getting started in research is always available at the reference desk, it isn't usually possible for the librarian to spend uninterrupted blocks of time with individuals.
How long does the research consultation last?
Consultation sessions usually last from 30 minutes to 1 hour. If needed, a follow-up appointment may be scheduled.
When are research consultation appointments available?
Appointments are available Monday - Friday from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Evening and Saturday appointments may be arranged depending on Library hours and staff availability.
How do I request a research consultation?
- Complete and submit the Research Consultation Request form below.
- Please allow at least two business days from the time you submit the request for the librarian to contact you to finalize your appointment time. If you have not been contacted within that time, please call the Reference Department at (850) 201-8383.
What do I bring to the consultation?
- A copy of the assignment to the consultation
- An activated TCC ID card to the consultation
- If you are registered with Disability Support Services, bring your reader or tutor to the consultation.
If you are unable to keep your scheduled appointment, please call the Reference Department at (850) 201-8383 as soon as possible. Give the librarian your name and the day and time of your appointment.