Verizon Innovative Learning, Verizon’s education initiative, is a key part of Citizen Verizon, the company’s responsible business plan for economic, environmental, and social advancement. The initiative ensures equitable access to education in under-resourced communities across the nation. In support of under-represented populations in STEM fields, Verizon Innovative Learning in partnership with NACCE offers a year-round program that works with middle-school aged young men of color, and rural young women through over 45 NACCE member colleges across the country to teach next-gen technology skills and entrepreneurship. For this program, each student is offered an immersive STEM experience during a three-week summer camp followed by sessions offered once a month throughout the year. Participants are additionally paired with a mentor for the duration of the program, into the next academic year. Students also receive career exposure opportunities led by Verizon employee volunteers.
Rural Young Women in Middle School
Interested in participating in Verizon Innovative Learning?
Check out more details below.
- This program focuses on middle school girls within the Big Bend Area.
- The camp will consist of a three-week summer intensive learning experience including courses in augmented and virtual reality, coding, 3D design, entrepreneurship, and design thinking principles.
- Tallahassee Community College three-week VIL summer intensive learning experience will take place from Monday, June 21, 2021 to Friday, July 9, 2021 (9:00 AM to 3:00 PM).
- Following the summer, the students will participate in monthly sessions throughout the academic year where they will develop a technology solution for a community problem that aligns with the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Tallahassee Community College monthly VIL sessions will take place once per month on a Saturday from September 2021 until May 2022 (9:00 AM to 1:00 PM).
- Lunch and refreshments will be provided to the campers at no-cost during the summer sessions.
- Transportation to/from the college can be requested and provided at no-cost.
- Technology equipment will be provided for student usage and learning throughout the Program.
- There is no cost to attend this camp.