Transient Students

You may wish to take a course away from your home school and still be able to apply the credit toward a degree at your home school. If you qualify to do this, you will be considered a transient student. You cannot receive financial aid at both schools. Financial aid must be awarded by the institution from which you are earning your degree.


TCC Students Taking Classes at Another Institution

TCC students who wish to study at another institution may be eligible to apply for a Consortium Agreement. This will allow students to receive financial aid through TCC while attending the other school (host school). A student may not receive more than one Consortium Agreement in his or her academic history, unless it is part of a dual enrollment program.

Note: Students who are participating in distance learning with another institution and students who choose to attend traditional classes at another institution will be able to complete the Financial Aid Consortium Agreement online as part of the application process to take classes at another institution through Florida Shines ( Students who use this option will receive a message to their TCC email account approving or denying financial aid for transient study.

How to Qualify for a Consortium Agreement

To attend another institution as a TCC transient student, you must meet all of the following criteria:

1. Consult with the Admissions and Records Office to complete the “Receiving Financial Aid While Attending Another Institution” form to determine if you are eligible for a Consortium Agreement

2. You must be a fully admitted, degree-seeking student at TCC

3. You must take courses that apply to your degree program at TCC

4. You must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours at the host school or a combination of 6 credit hours at TCC and the host school

5. Upper division credits (Junior and Senior level courses) cannot be counted for receiving financial aid on a Consortium Agreement

· Consortium Agreements are not sent to the host school until you provide proof of registration with a paid fee slip for any registered classes. You must pay out-of-pocket for classes at the host school.

· The host school has to agree to accept your Consortium Agreement


Disbursement of Financial Aid

Financial aid is not disbursed based on the hours you are taking until confirmation of class attendance is verified. An attendance form will be mailed to you after the original Consortium Agreement is received from the host school. You must submit this completed attendance form to the Financial Aid Office before financial aid funds will disburse.

Receiving Credit for Completed Courses

It is your responsibility to ensure all transcripts are submitted at the end of the term to Admissions and Records. Grades earned as part of the Consortium Agreement will be used in determining your satisfactory academic progress for financial aid. Failure to provide a transcript could result in the return of funds received for that semester (R2T4 repayment) and a hold will be placed on your account.

Transient Student Taking Classes at TCC

Students who are earning their degree from another institution but are taking classes at TCC are considered transient students for financial aid purposes. As a transient student, please be aware of the following:

· You cannot receive financial aid at both schools. Financial aid must be awarded by the institution from which you are earning your degree. This can only be accomplished through a Consortium Agreement issued by the degree granting school. Students should contact their degree granting school for further instructions.

· You must pay out-of-pocket for classes at TCC

· Consortium Agreements from the degree granting school will not be completed until after the add/drop period for the appropriate term at TCC. Attendance must be verified before the agreement will be completed. The add/drop dates can be found on TCC’s Important Dates and Deadlines webpage.