Questions and Resources

Learn More About Tallahassee

Tallahassee is a lot of things.  

  • It's the capital of Florida, so our town is the political and governmental hub for the state. However, being a state capital, it maintains a small-town vibe and strong community feel. 
  • It's a college town. There are two other major universities in town, Florida State University, and Florida A&M University, making Tallahassee home to over 60,000 college students from across the United States and the world. Tallahassee caters to students and student life, with endless outdoor activities, entertainment, festivals, museums, parks, and restaurants.
  • It's a sports town. If you enjoy sports, you'll have no trouble tuning in to the heartbeat of this town.
  • It's beautiful. It is in the panhandle of Florida and is known for its canopy roads, historic locations, and hiking and biking trails. Plus - if you enjoy the sand and surf, it's only a short drive to the ocean coast. Rolling hills, moss-draped oaks, fragrant magnolia trees, and grand plantation homes cover the landscape. The Georgia line is just 14 miles to the north, while the Gulf of Mexico is 25 miles south. 

Explore the Area

Does TCC have dorms on campus?

TCC does not have on-campus housing. It is the student's responsibility to find her/his own housing. There are many apartment complexes surrounding the campus and even more are designed just for students all around Tallahassee. See Student Housing options.

Another great option, especially for new international students, is living with a homestay family! TCC partners with American Homestay Network, which works with students, families, and colleges & universities to make the homestay experience a memorable one!

Does Tallahassee have a public transportation system?

No car? No problem! Tallahassee’s local bus service, StarMetro, operates bus service to TCC’s main campus. For information on routes and fares, visit Discounted StarMetro passes can be purchased for $99 per semester. 


Admission and Financial Aid

Can I study at TCC with an F-2 visa?

Yes, F-2 dependents can engage in study at a SEVP-certified school as long as they are enrolled in less than a full course of study. F-2 minors often study full-time, from kindergarten through 12th grade. To discuss this, contact the Office of International Student Services by calling (850) 201-8258 or via e-mail

Can I study at TCC with another visa?

Some visa holders may study or may not study in a degree program while in the United States. For more information on whether or not your visa allows you to study full-time or part-time, or for a degree program or in a non-degree program, please visit the ISS office for more information.

What is the financial requirement for F-1 students?

International students must account for tuition costs as well as the cost of living, mandatory health insurance, books and supplies, transportation costs, etc.  We estimate that the annual international student cost of attendance is around $25,500, and we require that the student provide proof of funding for this amount before we can issue an official acceptance letter and Form I-20.

Financial Support Form - Dependents

Financial Support Form - Dependents (or download the fillable Financial Support Dependents Form) - If you are on an F-visa and have dependents (spouse/children), submit this form along with your financial support letter. 

How do I print my I-94?

  1. Students can access their I-94 record online!
  2. Students should bring their updated I-94 records to the ISS to keep on file.


Academics and Transferring

Should I do an Associate of Arts (A.A.) or Associate of Science (A.S.) program?

The A.A. degree program is designed for students who plan to transfer to a Florida public university for their junior year (3rd year) to complete a bachelor's degree program.

If you want to study for two years and go directly into the workforce, then you should pursue one of our A.S. degree programs.

Many students get confused by the words "arts" in the A.A. degree title.

Regardless of whether you want to study political science, art history, engineering, chemistry, or another intended program of study, if your goal is to transfer to a four-year university in your third year to finish your bachelor's degree, then you should enroll in the A.A degree program. It is also known as the "university transfer" degree.

How many units (credit hours) do I need to take to maintain my full-time status?

During the fall and spring academic periods, you must complete at least 12 units (credit hours) each academic period. Summer term is optional unless it is your first academic period at TCC.

How do I transfer to another school as an F-1 visa student?

  1. You will need to apply for admission to your desired institution.
  2. Once accepted, please bring a copy of your acceptance letter along with the SEVIS Transfer-Out Form (or download the fillable SEVIS Transfer Out Fillable Form) to International Student Services and an advisor will complete the transfer in SEVIS.


Working On-Campus

Can international students work?

Yes, international students can work on-campus for up to 20 hours per week while classes are in session. International students are not eligible to work off-campus. Please contact the Office of International Student Services to learn more.

What is Optional Practical Training (OPT)?

Optional Practical Training (OPT) is a type of work permission available for eligible F-1 international students, allowing them to obtain real-world work experience related to their field of study.

There are three general types of OPT:

Pre-Completion OPT: Any portion of OPT that is used before a student's Program End Date on his/her Form I-20. This type of employment may be full-time or part-time.

Post-Completion OPT: Any portion of OPT that is used after a student's Program End Date on his/her Form I-20. This type of employment must be full-time.

STEM OPT Extension: This type of OPT is for students who majored in designated Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) degrees approved by the Department of Homeland Security.

Eligibility Requirements:

  • The student has been a full-time student in a SEVP-approved college or university for one academic year.
  • The student is not studying English as a Second Language (ESL)
  • The student's proposed employment relates to the student's intended program/area of study.
  • The student has not used all of the practical training available at the current level of study.
  • The student has not been authorized for 12 months or more of full-time Curricular Practical Training (CPT).

Apply for OPT

Students interested in applying for OPT need to schedule an appointment with an ISS advisor. An ISS advisor will review the eligibility requirements and the application process.

Note, Walk-in appointments are not accepted for OPT applications.

What is Curriculum Practicum Training (CPT)?

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is training that is an integral part of a program's established curriculum and relates directly to the student's intended program/area of study. CPT must occur before the Program End Date on a student's Form I-20.

To qualify for CPT, the student must either:

  • receive academic credit in a course, or
  • work as a part of a requirement for the degree.

Do I need to have a job offer when I apply for CPT?

Yes, you need to have a job when you apply for CPT.

Can I change employers during CPT?

No, you cannot change employers during CPT. Your CPT authorization is for a specific employer and specific training or internship position.

Do I need to submit my CPT application to United States Citizenship and Immigration Services?

No. You will need to submit your CPT application to the Office of International Student Services for review. An ISS advisor will make a decision on your OPT application. If approved, the ISS advisor will authorize CPT in SEVIS and generate a new Form I-20 for you.

Apply for CPT

To learn more about CPT eligibility requirements and the application process, please make an appointment with an ISS advisor by phone at (850) 210-8258 or by email


Transcripts / Academic Records and Testing

What is a transcript/academic Records evaluation? Why is it needed?

In order to determine whether or not your academic transcript(s) / record(s) and diploma(s) are equivalent to achieving the same level in the United States, your records must be evaluated by a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (

Examples of such agencies include Josef Silny & Associates (, World Education Services ( or SpanTran (TCC SpanTran Application).

My high school is accredited by SACS. Does my transcript/academic record need to be sent for evaluation?

No. If you went to a high school that is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS), then your academic records are already equivalent to the United States and do not need to be evaluated for admissions purposes.

What is the PERT test? Am I required to take it?

The PERT (Postsecondary Education Readiness Test) is the placement exam that tests new students on their math, reading, and grammar skills. If you have not taken the SAT or ACT, you must take the PERT before you will be able to register for classes. Your PERT score will determine which math and English classes you take in your first academic period.

The PERT is offered every day on TCC's campus in the Fine and Performing Arts Center, and no appointment is necessary. Be sure to bring your TCC student ID number and photo identification.

Access the PERT Study Guide Here



Accepted! Now What?

Apply For an F-1 Visa

  •  The ISS will send you your Form I-20, which is your Certificate of Eligibility to study in the United States.
  • After you receive your Form I-20, you will need to pay your SEVIS I-901 Fee. You will need to bring proof of I-901 fee payment to your visa interview, so make sure that you have your receipt.
  • Next, you will need to make an appointment at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. Please note that wait times to schedule an interview can vary from country to country, so be sure to plan ahead.

Take the PERT

  • MANDATORY: The PERT (Postsecondary Education Readiness Test) is a placement test to gauge your levels for reading, writing, and mathematics. All TCC students must take this test before registering for the first academic period of classes. If you have taken the SAT or ACT, you do not have to take the PERT. Please send your SAT or ACT test results to International Student Services.
  • Students can take the PERT at the TCC Testing Center, located on the 2nd floor of the Fine and Performing Arts Center. No appointment is necessary, but you must bring a photo ID and your student ID number.
  • If possible, arrive in Tallahassee a few days before orientation so that you may take the PERT before orientation day.
  • To Access the PERT Study Guide Click Here

ISS Orientation

  • All new international students must attend the International Student Orientation Program, held on TCC's Main Campus during the week before the start of classes. As part of the orientation program, each new student will meet with an ISS advisor to register for classes
  • International Student Orientation
  • WHEN: A week before the start of classes.  
  • Attendance is mandatory. Please contact ISS if you have questions about the orientation program

Pay Charge Items

  • After registering for classes, students must pay Charge Items by the payment due date to avoid classes from being dropped.
  • You can pay Charge Items online in Workday (with a credit card) or in-person at the Cashier's Office (with cash, check, or money order).
  • The Cashier's Office is located on the 2nd floor of the Student Union.

Get Health Insurance

  • All international students on F-1 visas at TCC are required to hold adequate health insurance for the duration of their academic program. New students are required to submit proof of health insurance coverage to the Office of International Student Services before the start of International Student Orientation.
  • New students will not be able to participate in the orientation program without first submitting valid health insurance coverage to ISS.

Maintaining Status

As an international student, you are required by law to adhere to the following criteria:

  • Have a valid passport. Do not let your passport expire. 
  • Attend the school that you are authorized to attend on your Form I-20. 
  • F-1 visa holders must enroll in a full-course load during the fall and spring academic periods. This means that you must take at least 12 units during the fall and spring academic periods. 
  • You cannot audit or withdraw from courses without prior permission from your ISS advisor. 
  • Only one online or distance learning class is allowed each academic period. 
  • Be aware of your program completion date on your I-20. Please meet with an ISS advisor if you need to request an extension to your Form I-20. 
  • Students are limited to 20 hours per week of on-campus employment when school is in session. 
  • AVOID UNAUTHORIZED EMPLOYMENT. Regulations restrict international students from working off-campus.
  • Notify the ISS if you intend to transfer to another school.
  • If you change your address, name, or phone number, you must notify the ISS office and update your information in Workday within 10 days of the change
  • Within 60 days of completing the course of study, you must transfer to another school or leave the United States.
  • If you plan to travel outside of the United States, please visit the ISS to ensure that your travel documents are valid. 


Admissions Forms

Transcript / Academic Records Evaluation Applications

Josef Silny application - TCC - Use this form to send your transcript(s), academic record(s), diploma(s), and examination results (if applicable) for evaluation of U.S. equivalency.

Note: You may send this application and your academic documents directly to Silny.  However, we recommend submitting this application to the International Services office, along with your official documents.  We will send your application and scans of your documents to Silny.  That way, you don't have to send your official documents to Silny and TCC separately.

You may also use World Education Services (WES) online application

SEVIS Transfer-In Form

Please use the SEVIS Transfer-In Form - TCC Main Campus (or download the fillable TCC Transfer-In Form Fillable) if you are transferring to TCC - Main Campus from another U.S. college/university/campus. Please use the (or download the fillable SEVIS Transfer-In Ghazvini Fillable) if you are transferring to Ghazvini Campus from another U.S. college/university/campus.  You must complete Part One of the form and the DSO at your current school must complete Part Two. This form needs to be completed before your SEVIS record can be transferred to TCC and before you can begin taking classes at TCC.

Admissions Checklist

After completing the online application, international student applicants must send the following items to the Office of International Student Services for review. If you do not submit these required items, your application will be considered incomplete.

Submit official copies of all academic transcripts / academic records and other examination results. All academic records must be issued in the native language and be accompanied by a certified English translation (if necessary) using an accredited credential evaluation company. The credential evaluation company must be a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services. 

Submit official English language proficiency score report: Students from countries where English is the official language do not need to submit TOEFL or IELTS results. International student applicants whose native language is not English must submit either TOEFL or IELTS test scores to demonstrate English language proficiency. The minimum scores required for each exam are listed below.

  • TOEFL: 61 (internet-based test); 173 (computer-based test); 500 (paper-based test)
  • IELTS: Overall band score of 5.5 or higher

Submit proof of funds which demonstrates your ability (or your sponsor's) to pay for classes, living expenses, and health insurance during your program at TCC.

Here you can read more about funding guidelines (or download the fillable ISS Funding Form) for international students.

Please send all supporting documentation to the following address:

Tallahassee Community College

International Student Services

444 Appleyard Drive

Tallahassee, FL 32304



Employment Forms

Request for Social Security Card

SSN - Eligibility and Application Process: If you have obtained on-campus employment, you will need to apply for and receive a Social Security Number before you can begin working. Please visit the ISS to learn more about how to apply for a SSN.

Note: If you have not obtained on-campus employment, you do not need a Social Security Number.

Practical Training Forms

OPT - Eligibility and Application (or download the fillable OPT Eligibility and Application Fillable): Optional Practical Training (OPT) is a type of work permission available for eligible F-1 students, allowing them obtain real-world work experience related to their field of study. The student's proposed employment must be directly related to their field of study.

CPT Eligibility and Application (or download the fillable CPT Eligibility and Application Fillable): Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is training that is an integral part of a program's established curriculum and relates directly to the student's intended program / area of study. CPT the Program End Date on a student's Form I-20.

I-765 Application for Employment Authorization

I-765 Form - As part of your OPT petition, you must complete the I-765 (Application for Employment Authorization) form. We recommend completing this form using a computer to ensure that all information is legible.

Contact Us

(850) 201-8258

Student Union, room 239