Healthcare Continuing EducationCertified Electronic Health Records Specialist
Become a Certified Electronic Health Records Specialist (CEHRS)
In today’s technology-centered healthcare system, electronic health records (EHR) systems are critical to patient care. This 100% online course will train you to use EHR systems and prepare you to pass the Certified Electronic Health Records (CEHR) certification exam.
Job Outlook Electronic Health Records Specialists
- Medical records technicians/health record specialists have ample job opportunities. According to CareerExplorer.com, demand for health records professionals is expected to grow by 13.5% between now and 2026.
- According to Burning Glass, health records specialists earn approximately $33,000 a year on average.
Electronic Health Records FAQs
How are electronic health records used in healthcare?
Electronic health records (EHR) are portable records of a patient’s healthcare experience. This responsibility helps doctors see and treat patients more efficiently and may help reduce errors in medical procedures and their documentation.
What does an Electronic Health Records Specialist do?
EHR specialists focus on the electronic documentation of the patient’s care and condition. Common EHR job activities may include:
- Auditing patient records for compliance with government or insurance requirements
- Abstracting clinical information for reporting purposes
- Performing basic coding for reimbursement claims
- Processing Release of Information (ROI) requests for medical records
- Reviewing patient records for completion and accuracy
- Collecting patient information for demographic and insurance reports
- Discussing patient information with physicians and insurance professionals
Is Medical Terminology a good basis for a Work From Home (WFH) or remote career?
Because electronic records are held and updated online, EHR Specialist is considered an option for a remote or home-based career. According to ZipRecruiter.com, most employers will require that remote team members to have certification.
- Prepare to take and pass the CEHR exam, offered by the National Healthcareer Association
- Receive a broad overview of the electronic health records (EHR) systems
- Gain hands-on experience using real EHR software
- Summarize the HIPAA Privacy Rule and HIPAA Security Rule
- Explain the information contained in various medical records
- Demonstrate how to write a chief complaint and obtain a patient history
- Establish the appropriate EHR for a healthcare practice
- Track of vital information such as patient allergies and medications
- Communicate with patients and report public health information
Certified Health Records Specialist
An overview of EHR and CEHRs
Introduction to Harris Caretracker
History of EHRs
Steps to EHR implementation
The EHR framework
HIPAA requirements and EHR systems
The EHR and record content
Lists, treatment plans, orders and results
Patient visit management
Coding, billing and practice reports
Practice reports, research, registries and reportable events
Personal health records and continuing care records