GED® Prep and Learn EnglishLearn English
TRANSLATE THIS PAGE INTO YOUR LANGUAGE: Go to the bottom of this page and choose Select Language.
- 中文: 将此页面翻译成中文：转到此页面的底部并选择 “Select Language”
- Français: Traduisez cette page en français: allez au bas de cette page et choisissez "Select Language"
- Kreyòl Ayisyen: Translate paj sa a nan kreyòl ayisyen: Ale nan pati anba a nan paj sa a epi chwazi "Select Language"
- 한국어: 이 페이지를 한국어로 번역 :이 페이지의 맨 아래로 이동하여 "Select Language"을 선택하십시오
- русский: Перевести эту страницу на русский: перейдите к нижней части этой страницы и выберите "Select Language"
- Español: Traducir esta página al español: Vaya al final de esta página y elija "Select Language"
- Tiếng Việt: Dịch trang này sang tiếng Việt: Vào cuối trang này và chọn "Select Language"
Learn English at TCC!
This is a class to help you learn English. The class is called English for Speakers of Other Languages or ESOL. You will learn to read, write, speak, and listen in English. The English class teaches beginning, intermediate, and advanced English.
The English class is multilevel. This means beginning, intermediate, and advanced students are in the same class with the same teacher. The teacher puts students into different groups. Each group will learn English at their level. You will also learn with a computer program called BurlingtonEnglish. You can practice with this program at home with a computer and internet.
Interested in volunteering or completing an internship with the ESOL Program? See About TCC Adult Education for information.
Interested in the program? Fill out the Interest Survey and you will be contacted with program information.
|Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday|
|6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.|
223 Pat Thomas Parkway, Quincy
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I sign up for the English class?
1. Apply to TCC - complete the online application.
2. Take the English test - see the calendar for the next test date
3. Pay tuition - pay the $30 tuition fee within 14 days after you are registered for class
See the New Students page for more information.
What are the requirements to take the English class?
You must be at least 18 years old. If you are 16 or 17 years old you can take the class if you are not in school, have a withdrawal form, and a signed Parental Consent Form. We do not accept students 15 years old and younger.
You need to live in the United States. We do not accept the Student Visa (F1) for this class.
You need to be able to read and write in your first/mother language.
How much does the class cost?
The class costs $30.00 for each semester.
Can I get a student visa (F1) to take this class?
No. TCC does not give student visas for students to take the ESOL class.
What English levels do you teach?
We teach beginning, intermediate, and advanced English levels in the same classroom. The teacher will teach your level to your group.
What do I learn in the English class?
You will learn to read, write, speak, and listen in English. Also you will learn American culture, civics, and citizenship. You will learn how to find a job, talk to your supervisor, write a resume, complete a job application and more!
Do I have to take an English test?
Yes, if you are a new student, you have to take an English test before starting the class. Check the calendar for dates when the English test will be offered. This test has no charge ($0). Students will take the same test again after the class.
How do I sign up for the waiting list?
If the English class is full, you can be put on a waiting list. When the class is available, we will contact you.
Please email email@example.com or call (850) 201-8760 to be put on the waiting list.
What are the student behavior expectations?
The following classroom expectations are to be followed by all Adult Education students. These frameworks are set forth to instill work ethics that are expected by employers in today’s workplaces. Students not following these expectations will be asked to leave the class and will be marked absent for the day. Repeated or more serious infractions could result in college suspension or expulsion.
- Students are expected to attend the full class period or will be marked absent for the class. See the Adult Education Attendance Policy.
- Cell phones must be out of sight unless specifically permitted by the instructor for educational purposes.
- Headphone ear buds cannot be in ears upon entry to the classroom or during class time.
- Desk seating cannot be changed during class time unless approved by instructor.
- No talking or other disruptions during class unless directed by the Instructor. No profanity or inappropriate language or behavior in the classroom or building.
- No distractions during class--including dress--that might disrupt the learning environment. No underwear should be showing (men and women) while in the Workforce Development building area.
- Respect others and classroom property at all times.
- No eating in class. Straighten the classroom after class to prepare for the next class. Custodial staff is limited.
- Computer usage only as directed by the instructor.
Instructors may use discretion in the implementation of this policy with Program Coordinator approval.
What is the attendance policy?
Students arriving to class more than 15 minutes late, leaving class more than 15 minutes before the end of class, or out for more than a total of 15 minutes during class will be marked absent for the entire class period. The student is encouraged to stay for the class period so that valuable learning can take place understanding that s/he will be marked absent.
The only exception to the above will be if a student has made prior arrangements with the instructor due to an extenuating circumstance.
Any student who is marked absent for 6 consecutive days will be administratively withdrawn from the class. There are NO excused absences per Florida State regulations.
¿Hay alguien que habla español que me puede ayudar?
Si, llama a (850) 201-6655 o manda un email a firstname.lastname@example.org para hablar con alguien en español.
If you have more questions, please contact the Adult Education Department at (850) 201-8760 or email@example.com.