Writing Champions are students who are paired with a faculty member to assist with student success and serve as a combination of peer mentor and peer tutor. Writing Champions enrich their own professional collaboration and writing skills through this faculty pairing. They are students recognized for exemplary written communication and critical thinking skills and their ability to explain rhetorical and linguistic concepts clearly to others.
- Successfully completed one English course at TCC.
- English GPA of 3.0 or greater and cumulative GPA of 2.8 or greater.
- Completed application.
- Completed interview.
Responsibilities – 5 hours per week
- Attend class with your paired faculty mentor.
- Attend training sessions that prepare you for tutoring and develop leadership skills.
- Meet once a week with your paired faculty mentor.
- Assist students during class.
- Hold tutoring sessions each week in a designated space to help students in the class. In these sessions Writing Champions will:
- Assist students in reviewing and clarifying information covered in class.
- Assist students in improving study skills.
- Assist students in achieving subject mastery.
- Tuition scholarship valued at $1000.
- Early registration.
- Professional development of collaboration skills.
- Professional development of writing and critical thinking skills.
- Strengthened resume experience that combines communication and leadership proficiencies.
Complete the Writing Champions Application below to get started.