Commercial Vehicle Driving
The Transportation and Logistics Center of Excellence (TLC) at TCC is an FMCSA-registered training provider that provides a variety of training options needed within the transportation industry. Students who successfully complete the program will be able to take the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles Class "A" Licensure Exam.
Commercial Vehicle Driving Career and Technical Certificate
Learn the necessary skills to join millions of drivers on the road today. This program covers all aspects needed to earn a Class "A" License while meeting FMCSA's Entry-Level Driver Training (ELDT) regulations. This course is offered at our Transportation and Logistics Center in Leon County.
Course code: TRA0080
Day Sessions (320 Hours)
Night Sessions (320 Hours)
8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Spring 2023 Start Dates:
Class "A" Refresher
This course provides individuals with an opportunity to learn the skills needed to improve their driving quality and safety on the road. This course is aimed at those who are current Class "A" license holders with a time gap or limited over-the-road experience. This course will cover pre-trip inspection, basic skills, and road driving in a Class "A" vehicle. Individuals who successfully complete the course will receive a Certificate of Completion.
Enhance and further your skills to improve your quality of driving and safety on the road.
Are you a current Class "A" license holder? You haven’t driven in a while? Have little or no experience driving over the road?
This 40-hour course will provide a review of commercial vehicle driving to refresh and enhance the knowledge of pre-trip inspection, basic skills, and road driving in a Class "A" vehicle.
Cost: $795 (testing fees for removing any restrictions not included)
Testing is available, if needed, for those who successfully complete the course.
- Testing Cost: $325 (includes usage of the vehicle)
Please call (850) 558-3551 for more information.
CDL Permit Preparation
This course prepares an individual to sit for their Commercial Learners Permit (CLP) which is needed prior to pursuing a Commercial Driver’s License. The course will cover general knowledge, combination vehicles, and air brakes. This is a self-paced online course that includes 2 live sessions from CDL instructors. Individuals who successfully complete the course will receive a Certificate of Completion.
Times: Online at your own pace with 2 one hour live sessions determined by the instructor
This online CDL hazmat test course is designed for commercial motor vehicle drivers seeking a hazardous materials (H) endorsement for their Commercial Driver's License (CDL). The hazmat endorsement is required to become a hazmat driver so that you can haul certain types of specialized freight and open new career opportunities as a driver.
Employer Testing Services
TCC is certified as a Third Party Administrator (TPA) by the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DHSMV). Individuals who need to complete the Commercial Driver's License test on behalf of their employer will complete the Skills Test as scheduled by a DHSMV-certified Third Party Tester (TPT). All testing must be scheduled no less than 3 business days prior to the desired test date. Initial Testing Fee: $325 (Includes 1 retake) Retake Testing Fee: $75 per attempt.
- Payment of any fees to TCC (3rd Party Administrator) will not affect fees payable by the applicant to the Department for issuance of a driver's license.
- The Department may retest any applicant presenting a TCC (3rd Party Administrator’s) waiver form in the process of obtaining a driver's license without regard to the results indicated on that form.
- TCC (3rd Party Administrator) does not issue driver licenses and cannot guarantee the issuance of a driver's license nor in any way influence the Department in the issuance of a driver's license.
Commercial Vehicle Driving Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) 2022 - 2023
- At least a standard high school diploma or GED diploma
- Must be at least 18 years of age (Please note students under 21 years of age must show proof of employment or intent to hire within the trucking industry, due to most employers requiring candidates to be at least 21 years of age )
- Provide a 7-year Driving History no older than 45 days prior to the first day of class which shows no major traffic violations (including the below) within that timeframe:
- No DUI
- No Careless Driving
- No more than 6 points within 3 years
- Complete and pass the Department of Transportation (DOT) Physical Exam prior to the first day of class
- Complete and pass a Drug Screen within 30 days prior to the first day of class
This program is not eligible for Federal Financial Aid however, if eligible, you may qualify for VA benefits, other financial assistance, CareerSource funding, or participate in an alternative payment plan option.
Purchases for textbooks and uniforms may be made in the bookstore. Visit the TCC Bookstore today.