Office of Student LifePeer Leaders
About the Peer Leader Program
Peer Leaders serve as peer advisors, role models, and representatives of Tallahassee Community College. Through formal training and hands-on experience, Peer Leaders develop valuable skills like organization, public speaking, adaptability, and more. Peer Leaders assist in various roles around campus, plan and execute Student Life events, and participate in community service.
The mission of the TCC Peer Leader Program is to provide a student leadership experience characterized by the enhancement of leadership skills in order to help connect other students to campus resources, by promoting service opportunities to enhance civic engagement, and by infusing scholarships to support higher academic achievement.
Goals and Strategies
- Engage in leadership skill development by actively and purposefully committing to guiding and assisting any individual, group, organization, or community in meeting its goals.
- Strengthen overall student engagement by utilizing Peer Leaders to aid in increasing the awareness of campus resources, services, and programs.
- Develop and participate in monthly service projects and collaborate with campus services and community organizations in and around Leon, Gadsden, and Wakulla counties.
- Promote civic-mindedness on the campus, locally, and beyond by providing opportunities to create and participate in appropriate settings.
- Successfully connects intellectual, academic, and practical skills utilizing critical and reflective thinking to draw summations with effective reasoning and creative thought.
TCC Peer Leaders receive a scholarship for 60 credit hours or two years of tuition.
The program provides opportunities for students to:
- Develop valuable skills in communication, leadership, and teamwork
- Meet and network with a variety of people
- Learn more about Tallahassee Community College and share that with other students
Students apply to the program as incoming freshmen.
To be eligible to apply to the Peer Leader Program, students must:
- Be an incoming freshman from a high school in Leon, Gadsden, or Wakulla counties
- Have a high school GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Obtain a letter of recommendation from a principal or guidance counselor
If selected as a Peer Leader, you will be responsible for the following:
- Maintain a 3.0 GPA or higher
- Work five hours per week in your assigned office on campus
- Attend weekly team meeting
- Attend one event that you are not working each month
- Complete between two hours of community service each month at a location or project determined by you and your Peer Leader Captain and approved by the Student Life Coordinator
- Plan and implement one (1) workshop each year with your team
- Attend all trainings and seminars that don’t interfere with your class schedule
- Be open to volunteering for all leadership opportunities that may arise for you, including any conferences or retreats that you may qualify and apply for
- Complete reflections each month on events and services and a reflection each year on your workshop
The application period opens annually in February and closes in May.
The deadline for applications for the 2022-23 academic year has passed.
- Fill out the TCC Peer Leader Scholarship Form online
- NOTE: You will be required to submit an essay, Community Service Statement, and two letters of recommendation along with a copy of your high school transcript
Office of Student Life
Student Union 185